Spring Play Showcase

Actors show off skills

Spring  Play Showcase

Kim Montoya, Staff Writer

The Sierra Linda Theater students have put up a spring showcase on April 28-29, during first period in the cafeteria. The play was hosted by the theater teacher, Ms. Given and performed by her beginning students and her advanced students. The students have worked very hard to come up with the act, memorize their lines and set up the props. The play wasn’t usually held after school, but first thing in the morning instead, due to not being able to get through it after school. The students play wasn’t focusing on just one play, but multiple of them, from Aladdin to SpongeBob Square pants.

On Thursday April 28, at 7:30 A.M. the first performance, was “Aladdin” and part of the scene of the movie was when Aladdin has wished to be a prince so he could get closer to Princess Jasmin. the second play was “Kat and Aliza”, where the two sisters talked about their life and talked about the baby, the third play was “Where’s my prince charming?” Where the princess talks about her prince charming is and wondering when he shall arrive, the fourth play was “Stop, Rain” as the two women talk about how one of the sisters

On Friday April 29, at 7:35 A.M. the second performance was “Romeo and Juliet” and lastly the other play was about the haunted house that the theater kids came up with. With all the creativity the Sierra Linda Theater class created, it became a success and all the students had fun.

givens

Ms. Given, Drama Teacher

Do you help your students with coming up with the play?

I work with the students to help come up with ideas. I give them ideas that I think are good ideas to work on and learn.

What has been your biggest challenge this year for the plays and what did you do to overcome it?

“The biggest challenge this year has been the budget. We only had a couple hundred dollars. We don’t have any money for costumes or set pieces or anything really we just try to get people to donate. We also get creative and I don’t mind this part because we make stuff out of newspaper and cardboard. I do wish we had more money to actually have supplies to teach kids techniques on performances.”

breanna

Breanna Wiley, class 0f 18

What was the hardest part about setting up the play?

“The hardest part about setting up the play was the bench that my partner and I had to sit on during the play.”

This is your last play for the year, which play was your favorite, why?

“My last play was my favorite play out of the year, because I put more effort towards it than most other plays and it was my last play too.”

Which line were harder to memorize and why?

“The lines harder to memorize was my mini monologue it just took me more time to study for.”

jenn

Jennifer Manzano, class of 17

“Having everyone on the same page. On the day of the performance, everyone is usually out of track or just too nervous to concentrate on setting up.”

“Aladdin for sure. I love the movie and seeing my classmates act it out was pretty fun to watch.”

“In SpongeBob I only had four lines and they were pretty short. in haunted house, however, I had bigger lines but the play was really improved so it wasn’t really hard.”

spongbob

Timmia Anderson, (left) is playing as SpongeBob and Yeralda Munoz (right) is playing as Mr.Krabs

kat and aliza   

Rosa Martinez (left) and Carolyna Carrillo (right) playing as “Kat And Eliza”

aladdin

Sebastian, Kayla, and Luis Nides acting out a scene of “Aladdin”