Daily Double

How Does She Do it

Daily+Double

Priscila Rojas, Staff Writer

What would it be like to be a counselor and work for 8 to 9 hours a day and then have to coach a golf team for another 2-5 hours a day?

It would be extremely stressful and tiring, to have to do paperwork throughout the day and then, go out in the heat and teach seven girls how to play golf, part of whom have never played.

This is the case Mrs. Joely Sanders, counselor for juniors and seniors, and the girls’ golf coach states “It’s… easier to be a coach since I am in a counseling position because I do not have a set schedule every day and I can be flexible with my time”, said Sanders.

Q: How long have you been the golf coach at SLHS?

A: This year will be my 4th year as head girls’ golf coach.

Q: How long have you been a counselor at SLHS?

A: This is also my 4th year as a Junior/Senior counselor

Q: How do you manage your time with your students and athletes?

A:  “The best part of my job is spending quality time with my students and if they are my athletes then it is a win win situation.  I try to be present at all times when working with my students and athletes.  They deserve that!”

Q: Do you enjoy being both a counselor and coach?

A:  “I love, love, love my job as a counselor and who wouldn’t love playing golf every day after a hard day at work. Golf is my hobby and I am lucky to get paid for doing something I love doing.”

Q: If there were one thing you could do besides being a counselor and coach what would it be?

A: I think I would like to be a teacher – maybe fashion or interior design.

Player Quotes

Q: How do you see your coach, as a leader?

A: “Mrs. Sanders is really helpful, caring, and a good coach”. said Melina TaCheenie

A: “She’s a hero to students for getting them where they have to be” said team member Alejandra Gonzalez 

Melina TaCheenie
Melina TaCheenie

8752