Do you see me? Or me.

Do you see me? Or me.

Elicia Lueraharris, Reporter

“I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judge by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

You can google hundreds, and hundreds of quotes, about not judging based on peoples appearance, yet that’s all we ever tend to do. You walk around in sweat pants, and oversized hoodie, your trouble. Yet, you walk in with a designer suite on, a fresh cut, and nice watch, you’re a preppy rich snob.

Your appearance is what catches the eye, what draws attention to yourself, and unfortunately how people in today’ society perceive you, and you know what they say ‘the first impress always has to be the best impression’.

We tell our children, students, collogues, ect, that when they see someone dressed in raggedy clothes, ‘you don’t know what they have to go home to, don’t judge’ however at the exact same time, as much as people want to deny it, if a tall African America, or even Hispanic male walks into the store with the exact same clothes, and walks past you, we clutch our purses, grab our children’s hand a little tighter, and sometimes even avoid going in their direction. As controversial as it sounds, it’s the honest truth, weather we all want to admit it or not.

It all comes down to stereotypes, something we all as a nation want to eventually crush, yet always advertise them in the newest movie, the hottest song, the top selling book that just got released, and so on. Weather its stating Asians are smart, white people are the richest, black people are ghetto, and all Latinas and Latinos are from Mexico.

As an American Latina who is fourth generation, born and raised in the great country of the Unites States of America, I can honestly say I am disappointed, angry, and annoyed. I walk into a store, or even into my class here at school and automatically people start speaking to me in Spanish. I look at them and say “What?” and their response is always “Aren’t you Mexican?”

“ So now not only does everyone assume I speak Spanish, but that just proves not only does your clothing give an impression as to who people think you are, but also the color of your skin.