It’s a band thing, you wouldn’t understand.

A review of the Sierra Linda high school marching band season.

It%E2%80%99s+a+band+thing%2C+you+wouldn%E2%80%99t+understand.+

Victor M. Venegas, Sports Editor

The Sierra Linda high school marching band ended their season ranked 14th  in state  of Arizona out of 70 bands, placing state but  falling short of placing championships by three points.

At NAU band day  on October 18th the band won multiple awards. “A rating of Excellent and three Auxiliary, Music and General Effect also qualified for state”

The band’s season was summarized by instructor Antonio Lozano in one simple word “Phenomenal”

“In my opinion our season went very very well, to see the progress of the marching band from early July to now their progress is just amazing.” said Lozano.

The band is conducted by their two senior majors Alexis Jonathan Ñunez and Kimberly Garica who both were well respected by their peers.

“Compared to the beginning this was one of the greatest seasons we’ve had, and I think there was a lot of growth as well as bonds between friendships” said Garcia.

When asked what was the highlight of the season she said, “ When we went to NAU (Northern Arizona University)  for band day, we did really well” also commenting on championships Garcia stated “ It was a time for us to realize that even though we didn’t make it to championships we still accomplished something big.”

The band gave their last performance of the season on November 4th at a district exhibition held at SLHS. For 16 members that was their last performance as a Sierra Linda high school marching band member.

Senior Aaron Zamora said, “Our season went good it had ups and downs for the most part we accomplished a little more than we wanted too, we didn’t know who was coming in so we didn’t know what to expect, but we did expect to make it to state.”

When asked how her first year in marching band went freshman Emily Acosta said “My first season was a lot of fun, I learned a lot.” Adding onto that freshmen Anthony Sanchez said “ It was great and fun experience, my expectations were met.”

Covering band has been one of my best experiences as a reporter so far, I feel like most people don’t realize how hard the band works. Staying late at school, getting up early and countless hours of repetition, but in the end it’s all worth it.  When the members say “band is life” they mean it. The band is one big tight knit community of music lovers that are more like a family than a band, let alone a class.  It’s a band thing that people wouldn’t understand.

Check out this link for more pictures on the bands.

https://dawgpoundnews.com/1417/photos/band-gallery/