Bulldog Alumni wrestling life

Class of 2012 Robert Turner

Bulldog Alumni wrestling life

Chicago Thomas, Reporter

Former SLHS wrestler and 2012 graduate is now a Trojan at Triton College in River Grove, Illinois.

In his senior year at SLHS his record was an outstanding 44-7. Turner went on to place 6th in state in Arizona that year and was recognized as SLHS’ Most Outstanding Athlete. The school honored him by placing a plaque in the front gym lobby trophy case

He currently is a sophomore and had an excellent freshman year at Triton finishing 7-8 and 5-3 in North Central Community College Conference.

Why did you decide to go to Triton College?

It’s cheaper to attend a community college first, and I still wanted to compete in wrestling

How long have you been wrestling?

I started wrestling as a freshman in high school, so that’s about six and a half years and I’ve been in love every since

What are some differences from high school and college wrestling?

One biggest difference is the intensity. In high school in some cases you don’t necessarily have to work all the time and have to keep moving. However in college wrestling it’s another story, you either get down or get laid down

What are some of the hardest things you’ve encountered at Triton, education and athletic wise?

Being able to balance both. And it truly is a job trying to do so. Sometimes you don’t know whether to work out your body or your brain, or to give both a rest.

What advise can you give young athletes trying to get to college?

If you truly want to be the best at your high school, college or the professional level you must become dedicated and you have to love it. Being dedicated means doing whatever it takes to reach your goal, not only in the sport but also in school. Because if you only focus on the sport its self you will most likely have a short career, especially in college. So take your sport seriously and even more so your education

What do you miss most about Arizona?

Definitely my family. I’m a family oriented person, and this is the longest I’ve ever been away from my mother and my siblings

Turner victorious for the Trojans
Turner victorious for the Trojans
 Turner pinning his opponent back in high school                                                                                         Photo courtesy of SL journalism
Turner pinning his opponent back in high school
Photo courtesy of SL journalism
+65+65
Turner getting advice from Triton assistant coach Mark Groski