Matadors blow out Bulldogs

Boys varsity basketball drop home opener

Matadors+blow+out+Bulldogs+

Victor M. Venegas, Sports Editor

On Tuesday December the 2nd Shadow Mountain won against Sierra Linda 85-61, in the fan filled gymnasium at Sierra Linda High School.

The game started off with the Matadors winning the tipoff, giving them the chance to score early on. Bulldogs quickly dished out a couple of shots of their own not letting Shadow Mountain take too much of a lead. Both teams played with aggression fouling each other bringing shooter after shooter to the free throw line.

First year varsity coach Joshua Haagensen kept his teams moral up  from the side line encouraging them to not give up. At half time the score was 39-30 with the Bulldogs trailing behind.

Returning from the locker room the Bulldogs were filled up with new energy ready to play harder. The second half began fiercely when they started slowly catching up to Shadow Mountain. The Matadors picked up on the Bulldogs energy and began furthering their lead. The team played passionately but was out done in the end. Losing by 24 points the bulldogs have only room to improve.

“I feel like we played well and hard, I saw a lot of good things out there.” Haagensen said.

Returning starters are junior Dontae A. (#3), sophomore Ahmire G.(#10), senior Dominique B. (#14), junior Jorge Acuna (#4),and senior Kacy T.  (#50)

Coach Haagensen giving his team a pp-talk during a break

Top scorers of the game:Dontae A. #3 with 12 points, Dominque B. #14 with 15 and Jorge A. #20 with 12

“Assistant Coach Chase Boydston (left), Head coach Joshua Haagensen (Center), and assistant coach Andy J. Enciso (left) standing at attention for the playing of the national anthem”
 “Dontae Aguirre going one on one with Matador defender”

Donate A (#3) going one on one with Matador defender, while Dominique B. (#14) and Jorge A. (#20) open up for a pass. 
 “ Ahimre looking for an amount to drive the ball in”
Ahmire G. (#10) passing  the ball to Dontae A. (#3)