Bulldogs conquer first post-season game

Victor M. Venegas, Sports Editor

After a regular successful season, the varsity girls’ basketball team found themselves facing off against Verrado High school in the first sectional game of the post-season at Agua Fria high school’s gym on February 10th 2015.

The Lady Bulldogs left one step closer to Saturday nights game against Desert Edge at 5:00 p.m.

“I feel good about tonight’s game, I feel good about the way they (the team) played.” Said Coach Desaire Carranza in a post-game interview.

Verrado lost the tip off to Sierra Linda, but scored the first basket giving them a two point lead on the Bulldogs. Sierra Linda followed shortly after sinking a free throw to put them on the board. Lady Bulldogs wasted no time quickly over taking Verrado’s small lead. The team’s defense prevented Verrado’s offense to score much.

Keeping their score in the single digits at halftime 20-8

Returning from the locker rooms the team picked up right where they left off before the half. Scoring over the Verrado defense, by searching for open lanes to move the ball around the court.

The team was led in points by senior guard Kaylah B. with 12 points and by freshmen point guard Janae G. with 23 points

“Once we got a big lead, I knew we had to contain ourselves and keep going” said freshmen point guard Janae G.

Junior Guard Aryanna H. shooting a jump shot
Coach Carranza using Verrados timeout as a chance to encourage her team.