Life Changing Letter

First SLHS student to receive the Gates Millennium Scholarship

Andres Guzman, Staff Writer

Senior Jesus Cervantes was awarded the phenomenal Gates Millennium Scholarship being the very first SLHS student to receive this scholarship.

“I still can’t believe I got this scholarship.” said Cervantes.

The Gates Millennium Scholarship is given to 1000 students nationwide. The scholarship covers grad and undergraduate total cost for dorms, tuition, books, food plan. The school Cervantes plans to attend is Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York.

The whole process of applying for the scholarships takes around 9 days. The application consists of telling your story showing them who you truly are. “At first I was discouraged because I didn’t think I would get this scholarship but little did I know.” said Cervantes.

The scholarship was introduced to him by his math teacher.

“I helped change this kid’s life and the fact that I get to have a little piece of that is amazing. 10 months ago I told him to look into this scholarship and he took it. Just to be a small piece of that is amazing its huge that’s why I come back here every day.” said Math teacher Jessica Siano.IMG_0191

Cervantes offered some advice to his peers when applying to school and scholarships.

“Don’t be discouraged to apply to any school and or scholarship. Make sure you have good relationships with some teachers so you can get good letters of recommendations.” said Cervantes

“I’m ecstatic, I’ve known him since the end of his freshman year and since the day I met him I saw nothing but greatness in him.” Said Mrs. Valenzuela one of the teachers that gave him a letter of recommendation.

V