Arrrrgg you ready for high school?

Leadership conference held for middle school students

Kaitlyn McFarland, Staff Writer

fffffffff

On February 20th 2015, Tolleson Union Student Council hosted a Leadership Conference for future freshman to prepare them for the high school student council experience. This conference was held by district wide student council members. Reading teacher and STUGO advisor Ms. D Franciotti was the director of the conference this year. The theme was Leadership Is a Treasure.

Special guests presenters were Colleen-Christine Braun, SLHS dance teacher, talking about Leadership and the Arts, Senior Jonathon J. from OYLA presenting a workshop about H.O.P.E. for Success, and Mr. Jaime Aldama a councilman for the City of Glendale.

kkkkk

Ms. D Franciotti, STUGO advisor

What was the purpose for this conference?

The purpose of this conference is to introduce incoming freshman, who are in middle school student council, to the role that Student Council and Leaders have in high school. It is meant to build excitement about getting involved in high school.

What were your expectations for the conference?

It was larger than I expected, but it met my expectations as far as what activities we had planned. I wanted the student council leaders from our district to help our incoming students understand the leadership opportunities that exist in high school, as well as how being a leader can help them experience success in high school and beyond.

What outcome did you get from the conference?

We received a lot of positive feedback, and overall it was successful. I gained a lot of personal experience planning a large event as did my students.

Will you be doing the conference again next year?

The conference rotates through our district schools, so it changes each year.

Why did you choose the pirate theme?

The student council decided that leadership is a treasure, so chose the pirate theme due to the relationship between pirates and treasure.

I also got the chance to sit down with Victoria Corral, SLHS student body president to ask her a few questions about the conference.

What were your expectations of the conference?

Well it was the first year that SLHS ever hosted the Jr. Leadership conference so I definitely wanted to make our school look great, especially due to us being on the news for the wrong reasons. Last year the conference was held at La Joya, and they struggled a lot to reach out to other middle schools, so as a council we focused on really getting the middle schools hyped and for them to leave with a learning experience.

Did the conference turn out the way you expected it to?

I was beyond satisfied with the result, we were told that about only 100 students were going to attend and the day of I was told over 260 students were coming, and although I did not expect that many I knew we were prepared. It was honestly one of my senior highlights, I loved meeting the future leaders of TUHSD.

22

Victoria Corral (right) and STUGO students pose for a quick picture.

25

2016 S.L STUGO members stop to take a quick picture with a Westview STUGO member.

26

STUGO ready for action!

asrg

Junior high students getting off the bus waiting to enter the high school gym.

24

STUGO Advisor Franciotti reviews the final plans with STUGO members.

.30

OMEGA Youth Leadership Academy member Johnathon Jones presenting a workshop.

23

City of Glendale councilman Mr. Jaime Aldama speaking to the crowd.