The World’s Most “Dangerous” Group

NWA’s story to hit big screen

Diego Perez, Staff Writer

There’s a new movie coming out this summer called N.W.A Straight Outta Compton that will screen on August 14, 2015.

The movie is about an 80 and 90’s controversial rap group called N.W.A that change the game of Hip Hop and gave America a view into the lives of inner city black Americans and the issues they faced. The message in their music is don’t be ashamed of who you are.

It all started with Dr. Dre and Eazy E, Dre wasn’t happy with what he was so he wanted to do his own thing like rapping, but he didn’t have the money to do it. With Eazy E’s money and Dr. Dre’s producing skills they planned to create their own label which is RUTHLESS Records.

They started looking for local talent. Their first recruit was a teenage rapper named O’Shea Jackson he called himself Ice Cube. Before Ice Cube joined he was in a group called CIA, but he left that group for Dr. Dre. Dre liked Ice Cube as a writer and a rapper.

NWA was a success for a while but when Ice Cube and Dr. Dre left the rest of the group departed because the rest of the group couldn’t do it on their own. NWA was controversial because people liked them for speaking the truth.

Their top three hit songs were Straight Outta Compton, F*** The Police, and Express Yourself.

The movie is staring O’Shea Jackson Jr. playing Ice Cube, Corey Hawkins as Dr. Dre, and Jason Mitchell portraying Eazy E.

I asked some staff members a few questions

Mr. Chinchilla

Q: What do you think about gangster rap?

A: I’m not a big fan but I do think it’s a great form of expression.

Q: Do you think NWA’S music has a bad impact on students or in the rap industries?

A: I don’t think it makes someone bad, but TV shows like Family Guy or American Dad effect the youth by misbehaving and bad influence.

Mr. Love

A: It sends a message that when put out of context, can be damaging. Reporting on what you see is one thing, emulating and glorifying is another. I fully support the freedom of speech and put the responsibility on the parents to teach right and wrong and not leave it to the government to decide for us.  

Q: Do you think NWA had a negative or positive influence on allowing youth to use their voice?

A: Again, free speech is always a good thing. Problem comes when messages are taken out of context and displayed or isolate das not part of a greater meaning. It can be positive if you look at the whole picture and end result of said lifestyle.

Q: Do you think NWA and other rappers “sold out” their communities by using graphic language to please record companies?

A: No, money is the motivator, not the message. The message is just a means to the money. If you yell from the rooftops and nobody hears it, who cares what the message is.

Mrs. Maguire

Q: What are your thoughts on gangster rap?

A: Love west coast rap, Bone Thugs and Eminem – not a fan of east coast rap. I think it gives a great creative outlet to those that create it and tells their story, which everyone should have the right to.                  

A: Positive – we all need a voice.                                            

A: I think the language goes with the territory. We are a reflection of our community and believe that is the language used in their everyday lives (not so extreme, but you need drama).

j
Advertisement for the NWA group