Bulldogs prevail against Patriots

Team sets new school record

Joseph Moncibaez, Staff Writer

Sierra Linda varsity football played at Independence high school on Friday September 18th taking the win 29-28. The win set a school record for best football starting record in Sierra Linda history as they improved to 3-1 on the season.

Head coach Ross Crow said, “I love how they responded. They bounced back from adversity. They responded by scoring and making a stop when we needed it. I just want to put this win in the books and get the next one.”

The game was a battle from the start. It was a game of defense as both offenses struggled to move the ball. Senior running back Adam Gutierrez had the only touchdown of the first quarter giving Sierra Linda a 7-0 lead.

In the second quarter Independence came back scoring two touchdowns on offense. Senior wide receiver Toshaun Thomas had a receiving touchdown for 65 yards. That play was nominated for Play of the Week on 3tv Varsity Zone. The Bulldogs went into the half tied 14-14.

Sophomore linebacker Jalil Mitchell had an interception in the second quarter to add on to the Bulldogs strong defensive performance.

“I think we did really good out there. We got our stops and defeated their offense.”, said Mitchell.

After the half the team came out strong defensively preventing Independence from scoring in the third quarter. Offense got the job done as well with Adam Gutierrez scoring his second rushing touchdown of the game to go along with his 220 rushing yards.

The Bulldogs took a 21-14 lead at the end of the third quarter.

The fourth quarter got interesting as Independence started another comeback. They scored a rushing touchdown and a two point conversion to take a 22-21 lead. Sierra Linda answered back with Toshaun Thomas rushing for a touchdown and Dominic Ruelas rushing in for a two point conversion.

With two minutes left Independence scored another rushing touchdown making the score 29-28 in favor of Sierra Linda. With the game on the line, Independence elected to go for a two point conversion and the win. However the Bulldogs defense, led by senior defensive tackle Teddy Cutright, made the stop to secure the win.

“I started off shaky, but I improved down the stretch when we needed it most and we took the W”, said Cutright.

The Bulldogs next game is away against Washington (0-4) on Friday September 25th at 7 pm.

For more information on Bulldog football visit their website at www.sierralindafootball.com.

dfence

Sierra Linda defense waiting for the ball to snap to blow up Independence offense.

handoff

Senior running back Adam Gutierrez looking for a hole as he takes the handoff.

coach

Sierra Linda coaching staff after a big defensive stop.

team

Sierra Linda defense waiting for the ball to get set to make a play.

adam

Senior running back Adam Gutierrez breaking loose for a first down.