Meeting Miss. Morales

Welcoming media center librarian

Margarita Delgado, Staff writer

We have a new Bulldog on the loose! Jessica Morales, Media Center librarian, joins the Sierra Linda team.

Miss. Morales excitedly shared personal information. She has a bubbly personality and is full of joy.  Miss. Morales has passion for her job and SLHS and loves her work.

Have you worked as a librarian before? (If so, how long?)

“Yes, I do have previous experience working in a library setting. I spent a year working with K-8th graders at Desert Mirage Elementary School!”

Why did you choose to come to Sierra Linda?

“Well, because of my love for the District, I originally applied for positions District-wide, hoping somebody would be interested. A few days later, I was offered the opportunity to work with ELL students here at Sierra Linda last year, so I took it! I then transferred to the Media Center when an opening became available because I was eager to be able to interact with a wider variety of the student body and being around books and computers just felt like a better fit for me.”

What was the date you arrived here?

“I arrived here at Sierra Linda at the start of the 2014-2015 school year, as an ELL Instructional Assistant.”

What high school did you go to?

“I graduated from Tolleson Union High School… so, although I love being a Bulldog, I will always have a littttle Wolverine deep in my heart! (Shhh)”

I heard you were a high school basketball star, how was that?

“I was in basketball for three years in high school and all three times we won the State Championship.”

Did you go on to play in college?

“I did do a bit of basketball at a community college as a walk on.”

How is it like working with Mrs. Fresquez?

“I enjoy working with Mrs. Fresquez. Her passion for helping students and providing them with a resourceful and positive environment here in the Media Center is truly admirable. Plus, she always has some sort of delicious smelling candle in here… like right now it’s pumpkin pie or something, uhh can you say yum!?”

What is your favorite part about being a librarian?

“There really are many things I enjoy about my new position here in the Library. I caught on quickly, and am very confident in my ability to complete our day-to-day tasks, which mostly consists of assisting others- both student and staff. However, my FAVORITE thing about this job would probably have to be the fact that I get the privilege of seeing so many of our students utilizing all of the resources offered to them. Something about seeing our younger generations WANTING to create a bright and prospering future for themselves… it’s heartening, and I love it.”

What books are you most interested in reading? (Are you interested in the same types of movies?)

“I enjoy a good mystery. I find controversial topics intriguing. Lately, I’ve been taking a lot of student suggestions and have found that I really like Barry Lyga’s writing. He’s blunt and at times, a little risqué, but also super easy to relate to. I’d highly recommend his books!”

22

Miss. Morales setting up the new display scene

33

Librarian, Jessica Morales, helps student, Leonardo