Hawks fly away with victory

Bulldogs lose last football game of season

Joseph Moncibaez, Staff Writer

Sierra Linda varsity football played Buckeye on Friday October 30th losing 49-28 in the last game of the season. Head coach Ross Crow said “Turnovers again plagued us. We didn’t protect the ball enough.”

The team started off strong defensively holding the Hawks to one touchdown in the first quarter. The offense, led by backup quarterback Toshaun Thomas who started due to regular starter Dominic Ruelas being ruled out with a concussion, failed to get the ball moving.

The end of the first quarter ended with a score of 7-0 Buckeye.

In the second quarter the Bulldogs allowed Buckeye to score two more touchdowns and increase their lead. Offensively they again didn’t get the ball in the end zone. They would go into the half trailing 27-0.

The Bulldogs came out of the half with a little more energy. They put points of their own on the board with a run by senior Adam Gutierrez. Defensively they allowed two more touchdowns to the Hawks ending the third quarter with a score of 41-7.

“Offensively we had a lot of mistakes and turnovers and on defense we had some key mistakes like blown assignments.”, Said Gutierrez.

In the fourth quarter the Bulldogs picked it up. They would allow only one touchdown defensively. They would also score three touchdowns of their own offensively. Toshaun Thomas would score two of the three touchdowns running the ball in. The third touchdown would be run in by senior Kenneth Jackson.

“We had a lot of missed opportunities and we didn’t execute when we needed to.”, Said Jackson.

The Bulldogs ended the season with a record of 4-6, best in Sierra Linda history.

For more information on Bulldog football visit their website at www.sierralindafootball.com.

IMG_7729 (2)

Senior Toshaun Thomas finding a receiver on the run.

IMG_7717 (2)

Seniors Robert Williams and Joshua Chavez assisting each other on the tackle.

IMG_7741 (2)

Senior Adam Gutierrez taking off on the Hawks defense for a Bulldogs first down.

IMG_7745 (2)

Senior Joshua Chavez returning the Kickoff.

2016 senior class football players after their very last high school football game.