Putting The T in Talent Show

Student showcase a success

Brandon Rosas, Staff Writer

On Wednesday April 6th 6:30 p.m. Sierra Linda held their Annual Talent Show in the cafeteria hosted by Band and Choir Booster Club. Ten acts were put on by many different students showing off their talents to an audience and a panel of judges. The  1st Place winner of the night was Mirasia McClearn.

20160406_202224[1]

The judges consisted of Mr. Aiton, Ms. Arviso, Ms. Moore, Mr. Tillotson, and Ms. Valenzuela. Mr. Marshall was the host and did a great job telling jokes making the audience and judges laugh, the energy was great from everyone. Attendance was not the best only about half the seats were filled but everyone was excited and having a great time.

(Judges)

1

First to go up on stage was the Fresher Than You Squad which they danced to the Jersey Club Remix of the Backyardigans Main Theme. The students in this group were Tah’janaye Cause, Danae Chavira, Jahanezea Harvey, Kendra Jenkins, and Maria Ruiz (and yes they are all fresher than you).

Next up was wonderful Guadalupe Vasquez singing the song Oh Ms. Believer by Twenty One Pilots. Following her is our second place winner the very talented Luis Miguel Aparicio singing Blackbird by The Beatles and Hey There Delilah by The Plain White T’s while playing guitar.

Lythecia Rodgers sang Rise by The McClain Sisters and beautifully dedicated it to her mom. Before the intermission came on Keba-Akilah Moore who was a previous winner and was also a judge this year, she impressed the audience while singing Super Woman by Alicia Keys and she also sang it for her mom.

After the intermission Mirasia McClearn the first place winner came on and incredibly danced to Ants by edIT. Up next was MiYasia Dunlap rocking the song Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande. Next was our third place winner Nicholas Walker singing the song The scientist by Coldplay and expertly playing it on piano as well.

The penultimate act was the very charismatic Gabriel Flores who jumped off stage and interacted with the audience while singing the Lazy Song by Bruno Mars.

The final act was the return of the Fresher Than You Squad dancing to the song Valerie by Amy Winehouse while Keba-Akilah Moore sang it, together they both blew the audience away and brought a perfect end to this years talent show. The atmosphere was great and for those who didn’t go truly missed out on a great night.

00

Mirasia McClearn (1st place winner)

How long did you practice for this night and were you nervous?

“I practiced for a week and a half and yeah kind of but I dance a lot in front of people so it wasn’t that bad”.

Were you confident about winning?

“Actually I was yes I was very confident I have been dancing for a long time”.

What advice would you give to future contestants?

“Just do what you love you know and go for it if you feel confident and know you’ll do good”.

talent

Mr. Madrid (Principal)

What did you think of this years talent show?

“I thought it was amazing all the acts were great I’m glad I wasn’t judging because I don’t know if I would have been able to choose between any acts they were all so good and talented. The kids worked real hard you can tell by their performances they practiced, you have to give them credit for getting up there and doing what they did”.

Are you looking forward to the next talent show?

“Yeah definitely I am hoping we get some more people out here because they are missing out on a lot of talent that is here, and I want the people to see how talented our kids are”.

show

Ms. Arviso (Judge)

Was this your first time hosting a talent show?

“No I have done it for the last 3 or 4 years actually”.

How would you stack this up compared to previous talent shows?

“The talent this year was really difficult to decide and grade because all the contestants were really good and not that they have been bad in the past it’s just there’s always been a clear winner and this year it was really anybody’s game there was a lot of good talent out there. In the end I was really surprised the top 3 all had really good scores and it really could have gone to any of the 3”.

What do you look for in the acts when judging?

“We have a criteria, there is a list and overall performance is one of them also how difficult their talent is and how they’re dressed if the costume goes along with their theme. Confidence, like how confident they are on stage and how they interact with the audience. All these come into play and that’s why sometimes its hard because someone’s talent may not be as on point as somebody else’s but they could earn points in other areas that we have to grade them so its about an overall performance and not just how great you can sing”.

Congratulations to our 3 winners who really deserve it and all the other acts were nothing short of great and all deserve to be recognized.

2nd place – Luis Miguel Aparicio

2nd

0

3rd place- Nicholas Walker

3rd  1111111111111111