Spotlight Movie Review

Winner of The 2016 Oscars best movie of the year.

Courtesy of Patheos.com

Courtesy of Patheos.com

Brandon Rosas, Staff Writer

Spotlight follows the story of  a team within The Boston Herald known as Spotlight. They uncover several cases of rape coming from Catholic pastors in the Boston area. It all begins when they discover that a priest may have molested multiple children and interview several victims with heartbreaking stories. A shocking revelation shows that the number of pastors who have raped children in Boston goes well over 50.

This movie stars Michael Keaton, (Batman, Beetlejuice) Mark Ruffalo, (Avengers) Rachel McAdams, (The NoteBook) and Liev Shcrieber, (Ray Donavan). This movie is not your summer blockbuster and has almost no action but it manages to keep you on the edge of your seat and you don’t want to miss a second of what is going on. It’s both a mystery and journalistic movie that manages to take a great spin on those two genres while sending an important message and attempting to open the eyes of those who watch it. The acting is nothing short of superb and the chemistry between the actors is great all playing off of each other really well.

The best part is how it makes you want to stand up and stop these rapists and child molesters. The film does not attack the catholic religion or ideologies but just that 6% of all catholic pastors in the world that commit these horrible crimes. It shows its audience that anyone who has gone through this cant stay silent they need to have their story told to be able to get those pigs the consequences they deserve. The Catholic church doesn’t punish the priests just relocates them to another church and does not tell the authorities or anything. The higher ups in the church protect these rapists and because many stay silent the victims never get the justice they deserve. All those who have been raped by a priest have either grown up but with psychological effects or have committed suicide.  This movie inspires almost everyone to want to make a change and I think that is really important and why it deserves movie of the year.

This is why I give this movie a 9/10. This movie will stay in your mind days after you watch it and it helps make want to make people speak out. Both parents and students should watch it only had some bad language but aside from that it’s appropriate for most of the family.