“New year new coach”

Varsity football preparing hard for upcoming season

Victor M. Venegas, Sports Editor

After a devastating season in 2013 with an ending record of 1-9 head varsity coach George Burgess resigned to spend more time with family, leaving S.L.H.S. football without a leader. Stepping up to the challenge is new varsity coach Ross Crow. He is transferring from Shadow Ridge (Surprise, AZ) where he previously taught  Government and Economics for 6 years and coordinated the offense and coached quarterbacks for 1 years. Coach Crow has big shoes to fill and he intends to lead the team to success. “I feel good; the kids are working hard and are getting better.” But Crow still has his worries “I hope that they can fight through adversity“ Crow is not the only coach that is confident both returning offensive line coach James Trischan and  new defensive line coach Jim Carol say their team will be ready for game one. “Yes, were ready” said Trischan. Even the players feel like their ready for the season “We’re pretty solid this year, our defense is too cold,” said middle linebacker Luis Canales. But there is still room for improvement according to Carol after he described the team as a “work in progress”. Returning varsity quarterback Dominic Rueleas commented “We’re really struggling on the o-line the snaps really need to get down” when asked what the team needed improvement on.

dominc
Quarterback Dominic Rueleas

The team has yet to find a starting center. “There are a couple younger kids were looking at for center” said Tristan. Senior running back Michael Lauren said “I’m ready to prove to the fans that we’re better than 1-9″. At time of press the team is currently o-1 losing a opening season heart breaker 26-28  to Mohave high school on Friday, August 29 . The first home game is September 5th against Raymond S. Kellis

micheal (2)
Senior running back Michael Lauren standing tall after practice

group
Coach John Balderini ( Left) Coach Crow ( Center) Coach Carol ( Right) Coach Jacob Ciesielczyk ( Far Right) giving after practice news.
running
Running Back playing through lineman drills.

Coach Jim Tristian getting a better angle of his offensive line.