Dine’(Navajo) Culture

A view of Native American Traditions

Dine’(Navajo) Culture

Melina TaCheenie, Reporter

In the state of Arizona, Native Americans make up 4.5% of the population. There are 85% Hispanics, 9% African American, 5% white and 1% Native Americans here at Sierra Linda High School. Each culture has strong traditions and values. There is a need for us to understand each other so that we are able to respect our beliefs and way of life.

Ya’at’eeh- hello

The Navajo language (Dine’ Bizaad) is one of the top hard languages in the world. Why don’t you try?

The Navajo culture is fading through time, but still is as strong as ever. As most culture we have responsibility; to expand and teach the young ones who they are and the nature/good in life.

Navajo Times:

If you don’t know what Navajo Times then you’ll be surprised what you’re missing out on. Navajo Times is a website; Politics, Rodeo’s, education, Fairs, Culture/ 456Powwows, Art, even sports.

If you’re an education person, then you’ll love to hear all the politics, business, community and a way to learn about the Navajo Nation.

Traditional Clothing:

Many of the traditional clothing you see are very expensive that could         reach probably over $100.

It’s not just clothing we wear, but something that expresses who we are and the meaning into each pattern sewn on.

• Rug dresses
  • moccasins

Ceremonies/Events:

Most of the traditional ceremonies could go on for days, maybe even weeks. Ceremonies and rituals are one of the most important lifestyle for Navajos, counting; building Hogans, or planting crops count as a ritual with prayers.

A tradition that everybody should go to are PowWows. They are a family event filled with traditional food, singing, and hoop dancing. Also PowWows are a way of showing honor and pride.

The 2013 powwow was to honor the Code Talkers and to bless them. If you don’t know who Code Talkers are they were people used during the wartime to transmit 52

coded messages.

click link to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVhpV5c9Wx8

On a totally different subject, music, even the traditional dances and singing have developed into newer version for the younger generation as someone called; Supaman, which is mixed with traditions of music and dance with the newer generation with the song called “Prayer Loop Song”.

Traditional PowWow outfit

Link to watch Supaman perform his dancing and rap skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0jq7jIa34Y

Food (Ch’iyaan):                                                                              

Traditional food may be passed through generation and think you’ll be tired of it, but you’ll never be tired of mutton soup/sandwiches (sheep), Navajo tacos, frybread, and blue corn mush.

The #1 excellent food everybody should try would have to be Navajo Tacos, it is; frybread, topped with beans, lettuce, cheese, onions, tomatoes and if wanted, salsa.

Sheep- dibe’

Stories/Legends/Myths:

Stories are passed down through generation to not only entertain children but to teach about their ancestors, lifestyle and nature. It’s a creative way of showing the creation of earth and unto us.

The traditional Navajo basket have 3 colors; red, white and black. The black design symbolizes Darkness, meaning night and clouds bringing rain, the white design part inside the black symbolizes the sacred mountains and the outside white part symbolizes dawn, tying together with the outside rim representing a person’s thoughts, prayers and values. Then the red design symbolizes the rays of sun/life.

Traditional wedding                             basket

For more information go to http://navajotimes.com/