The New Club on Campus

M.E.C.H.A joins team Bulldog

Photo courtesy of Westhillscollege.com

Photo courtesy of Westhillscollege.com

Elisa Escajeda, Reporter

New clubs are being added to the Bulldog family, such as Mecha a national organization that has reached our campus.

Mecha is a Hispanic awareness club that helps fight against discrimination against Hispanics,” said V.P junior Salvador Carpio Becerra.

Mecha is a student organization that promotes higher education, culture, and history. Mecha was founded on the principles of self-determination for the liberation of Hispanics.”

The clubs first break out activity was to help SLHS celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month which was September 15th to October 15th. To celebrate they had lunch activities that included; performances by mariachi bands, student singers, etc.

“Mecha has teamed up with FCCLA to get the club up and running with activities, and to be a part of major school functions coming up this year,” said junior and Club President Yazmin Arias.

According to nationalmecha.org “In April of 1969, over 100 Chicanas/Chicanos came together at University of California, Santa Barbara to formulate a plan for higher education, El Plan de Santa Barbara. With this document they were successful in the development of two very important contributions to the Chicano Movement: Movement Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán (MEChA) and Chicano Studies.”

“At SLHS Mecha is here to promote Hispanic awareness, higher education to help motivate students into going to college, to get students involved in community service, and to participate more in school activities, to help make being a part of the Latin community a more positive thing,” said Mecha advisor Mrs. Del Rincon.

The club meetings are held every Thursday after school in room 7110.

Ms. Vazquez Co-Advisor, Yazmin Arias President, Mrs. Del Rincon Advisor, Salvador Carpio Becerra VP.
Mrs. Del Rincon helping to prepare for what was an upcoming carwash.
Mrs. Del Rincon has the attention of every Mecha members as she explains to them what they have to do for the upcoming carwash.