The dress code struggle

Students have mixed opinions

Image courtesy of tillys.com

Image courtesy of tillys.com

Aaron Martinez Reyes, Staff Writer

The Sierra Linda’s dress code policy is what helps many students from dressing in an inappropriate way.

According to the SL 15-16 Student Handbook, the policy which is set by the Tolleson High School District Governing Board is universal for all 5 campuses.

Sample dress code guidelines are: No oversized pants, no pants nor shirts with excessive holes or rips, no head coverings of any kind are allowed on campus includes hats, hoods, bandanas, etc. there is also no shirt strapless than two inches, racer backs, and halter tops, tops showing any part of midriff when arms extend upward will not be allowed, necklines for girls may not expose any cleavage, shorts and skirts must be an appropriate length, and
Many students are saying that the dress code policy is bad because students can’t wear certain things that they like to wear. For example, saggy pants, strapless shirts, shirts or pants with holes, hats, and inappropriate shirts that have drugs, guns, colors, and “in memory of” printed on them.

Here are a few comments from SL students about dress code.
What do you think about student dress code?

Photo 1

Angelita M said, “I like it because we don’t have to wear uniform”

Photo 2

Brian said, “It is good and kind of bad because there are girls that wear improper clothes knowing they are going to get in trouble.”

Photo 3

Erik S said, “I do not like the student dress code because you should be allowed to wear whatever you want.”

Photo 4

Emilio P said, “People get written up for to many unnecessary characteristics”

Samples of dress code violation. Photos are not students of SLHS, but images found in the internet.

Photo courtesy of politicalmoll.com
Photo courtesy of politicalmoll.com

Photo courtesy of fashion and hairstyle.net