Newspaper Attends AIPA Conference

The annual Journalism Fall Convention at ASU

Kim Montoya, Digital Journalist

On Thursday October 27, 2016 Arizona Interscholastic Press Association held their annual Fall Convention in Tempe, Arizona at ASU.  The purpose of the event was to inspire students with new strategies to use and for those who dream to become journalists.

A select group of SLHS Newspaper-Journalism class as well as Yearbook staff had the opportunity to participate in the day long conference.

The day started off with a guest speakers Kimberly Yee and Anita Luera. Then students were allowed to attend  2 breakout sessions on various workshops, which totaled up to 31 different subjects, from digital media,leaderships, photography, and of course, journalism from current media professionals and the state tops teachers

The students were all very excited to be able to choose two sessions to go into.

“Yes, I enjoyed the conference because I was able to learn some new things that I didn’t know before.” said Dawg Pound Newspaper journalist Samantha Martinez.

The sessions were perfect opportunities to let the inspired students learn something new from the journalism world, also allowing them to be able to go into a room they know they will learn something they want to be in the future.

“It was a well planned event and I m happy the SLHS journalism students committed to going and learning new techniques from industry leaders”. said SLHS journalism teacher Mr. Larry Ross. ‘The thing I enjoyed seeing was the SLHS students got to all their peers from all aver the state”.

A total of 14 students from SLHS participated: Kimberly Montoya, Jorge Sapata, Samantha Martinez, Abril Gutierrez, Berenice Hoyos, Jauentino Correra, Andrea Yates, Ashley Lockwood, Jesse corral, Jessica Rodriquez, Tobi Joe, Alena Van Dorn, Nahamee Guerrero, Myrna Rios.

Yearbook student Abril Gutierrez said,  “I really enjoyed learning about different jobs for broadcast news. It was interesting knowing how difficult it actually is.” said Yearbook student Abril Gutierrez.

After lunch the concluded with guest speaker Rick Burress the “Chief Listener”. He spoke about the ability to listen.  If your actually paying attention or if your pretending to pay attention, because you honestly don’t care. He taught the students about respect and how to make sure the other person knows your paying attention, by sitting face to face and never face to back.

students

Photo Courtesy of: Alena Van Dorn

Sierra Linda Newspaper and Yearbook Students posing for a selfie before they start their adventure in the AIPA Conference.

aipa

One of the many sessions at the AIPA Conference, the students seem to be having a great time in Ty Ng Filmmaking Session before he started to teach us the beauty of Filmmaking.

screenshot_2016-11-14-08-09-53

Students from around Arizona, are seated down to await for further instructions and announcements.