A so long to country

Review: Taylor Swift’s, 1989

Photo courtesy by: www.harpersbazaar.com

Anahi Griego, Reporter

If you were to count back today to 1989 you get a quarter of a century; 25. Taylor Swift was not afraid to slam her birth year on the cover of her fifth album, challenging you to do the math. Swift launches 1989, super catchy eighties pop that makes you realize that she drained every last country gene that she had left.

Her new album, 1989 is a striking pop strength about living in the big city, leaving old selves behind and yes, dating people that you shouldn’t be dating. It’s not that she’s making the same mistakes that one would promise themselves that they would stop doing; it’s more like she’s accepting that mistakes is part of a parade we call adult life.

“Welcome to New York”, the albums opener is an easy song to mock. New York actually hasn’t been cool since 1989, and the thought that a four digit rent is waiting for you with arms open is a pretty naïve. Swift is talking about New York as an inspiring area to start over.

The melodies on her album go against ‘80’s bass lines and hip-hop beats.

Through-out her whole album she was able to let her words out with real anger, not just cool words. “Band-Aids don’t fix bullet holes/ you say sorry just for show,” she sings on “Bad Blood.”

Swift ends her album with the song “Clean”. This song talks about the lover that Swift is quickly shutting out. From the sound of it, she’s finding strength in her friends; not in romances.

I got the chance to travel around campus and get reactions on Swift’s new album. 1989

What is your favorite song from Taylor Swift’s, 1989?

(Quotes courtesy of Dawg Pound Media Facebook page.) 

My favorite song is Shake it Off, it has a really up beat song that makes you move.” says SLHS senior Jesus Delalo.

456

“I would say Blank Space is my favorite song because she’s really honest about her feelings,” says SLHS sophomore Kimberly Montoya.

1054215

Definitely Shake it Off would be my favorite because Taylor is basically telling the haters to back up and that she doesn’t care what they think,” says SLHS sophomore Alisia Hillman.